Ethical Fee Setting: What California Lawyers Need to Know about Setting, Communicating and Collecting Fees.
This dynamic program addresses one of the most practical and important questions facing any law firm—how to set and collect fees that comply with the requirements of the Rules of Professional Conduct and related authorities. This program qualifies for 1.0 hours of legal ethics credit.
Whether your firm charges by the hour, a flat fee, or on a contingency basis, this program can be customized to meet the needs of your firm.
Issues that can be included in this program include:
- How to avoid the pitfalls of block billing;
- What factors make a fee unconscionable;
- How to avoid having your fee agreement voidable under Business & Professions Code Sections 6147 & 6148;
- How to minimize the risks of entering into an agreement in which you take an ownership interest in a client’s property as a means of getting paid;
- The permissible way to charge a late fee;
- How to comply with requests from non-paying clients to turn over their file, including requests for the electronic version of their files;
- How to avoid the single most common problem that causes lawyers to be disciplined in connection with their fees and invoices;
This program can be combined with our program that discusses how to collect and set fees.
Gideon Grunfeld has been writing and speaking about ethical fee setting issues since 2005. His publications include: Recurring Ethical Issues Relating to Fees and Fee Agreements, which was published by The Bottom Line, the official publication of the Law Practice Management & Technology Section of the State Bar of California.
Organizations who have benefitted from this program include:
- Beverly Hills Bar Association
- Los Angeles Bar Association
- Annual Meeting of the State Bar of California
To arrange for Gideon Grunfeld to present this program to your organization so that your lawyers can easily obtain an hour of ethics credit, call 310.734.6073 or email Gideon directly at email@example.com.
To see a detailed description of the ethical fee setting program, click HERE.